Ninja Air Fryer AF101 Review
If you’re looking for a high-quality, versatile and budget-friendly air fryer for your home, then the Ninja air fryer AF101 is the way to go. This powerful air fryer checks all the boxes for a quality product with a large capacity, very user-friendly setup and a compact design.
Our Ninja Air Fryer AF101 review highlights this best-selling air fryer. The team at Ninja Kitchen set out to create a versatile air fryer that can cater for the whole family, using the best materials, at the best possible price for the consumer.
The Ninja Air Fryer AF101 offers an industry-leading warranty and excellent quality for the price. The company has really gone above and beyond creating this powerful air fryer that really delivers on the quality of the frying.
This in-depth review of the Ninja air fryer evaluates all of the criteria we use to determine what constitutes a good air fryer, which includes capacity, versatility, cooking quality and ease of use.
Read our Ninja air fryer review to see what we think about this market leading air fryer.
Is the Ninja Air Fryer Af101 Right For You?
Buy the Ninja AF101 if you like:
- Evenly fried foods – The ceramic coated crisper plate is also a unique feature that encourages even circulation of hot air around the food item, giving you evenly cooked and crisp treats, every time. Reviewing most air fryers on the market, this feature really sets the Ninja apart.
- Fast cooking – 4 versatile cooking modes – dehydrate, roast, air fry and reheat – provide a quick start . An auto-adjust fan automatically adjusts the cooking speed and time depending on the preset you choose. This gives you the freedom to customize the way you’d like to cook.
- Easy to use controls – Compared to other air fryers, this model provides a very user-friendly control panel with a digital display, where you can set the desired cooking mode, cooking time and the temperature.
- Large capacity – Can cook more than enough for two (2 pounds of french fries, 6 strips of fish fillet) in a single go.
You might not like the Ninja AF101 if:
- You are cooking for more than 5 people regularly – The Ninja AF101 comfortably can fry for up to 5 people, so if you’re looking to cook for more people in one go reguralry consider an XXL model.
How Does The Ninja AF101 Perform In Testing?
I cooked fried chicken in the Ninja Air Fryer AF101 and I’m not entirely sure I’ll buy fried chicken out again.
I purchased standard fried chicken flour, battered the wings and this air fryer fried the chicken in just over 10 minutes. And the really surprising aspect is that you’re using less oil than standard frying and you’re not making your kitchen smell like frying for 4 days.
Crucially with many air fryers the easy cleaning benefits promised do not always turn out to be true. However the Ninja Air Fryer really is easy to clean. So you can be making your main meal and a few minutes later making the dessert. Donuts were a particular favorite during our testing.
The outside of the fryer does not become too hot so you don’t have to worry about burning your fingers when operating this model.
I can say that once you’ve tried this air fryer you’ll likely be using this for a lot more meals that you’d previously considered due to the ease, flavor and versatility of the AF101.
What Are The Main Features & Benefits of The Ninja AF101 Air Fryer?
With a smart processor, intuitive settings and large capacity, this air fryer zips right ahead of its competitors in the market. Let’s check some of the main features that make it such a worthwhile buy:
- 4 One-touch cooking presets: One of the most attractive things about this air fryer is how it allows you to customize the cooking mode based on the dish that needs to be made. The Ninja AF101 air fryer comes with 4 useful cooking presets – dehydrate, roast, air fryer and reheat. These allow you to customize the way you’d like to cook.
- User-friendly control panel: The first thing you notice about this product is its easy-to-use control panel. Froma simple on/off button, setting the temperature, cooking time to the cooking mode, you can pick the desired settings at the touch of a button. Its digital display is easily visible.
- Lightweight and compact: Weighing at 13.3 lbs (5.5 kgs), it’s a relatively lightweight and compact design. This makes it easy to comfortably be placed anywhere in your kitchen without taking up too much space. The NuWave Brio Air Fryer also offers a similar experience.
- Ceramic coated crisper plate: The air fryer comes with a ceramic-coated crisper plate that helps the air circulate evenly from all angles, ensuring that the food is evenly cooked. The plate also helps separate the food from any excess hot juice or oil that may release during the cooking process.
- Wide temperature range: Another useful feature of this product is its wide temperature range of 105 to 400-degree Fahrenheit. This means you can cook countless types of foods – from light cooking to super-crisp frying.
- Dehydrate Mode: Another unique thing to love about the Ninja Air Fryer AF101 is its dehydrate cooking mode. In it, the air fryer slowly heats the fruit, vegetables or meat of your choice – which slowly removes the water and turns it into crispy snacks that you can eat anytime.
- Extra-large capacity: With a huge 4-quart basket, you can cook more at a single time. It’s possible to fry 2 pounds of french fries, and 6 strips of standard fish fillets in a single go. You can comfortably cook for 3 to 5 people with this product.
- Non-stick, heat-safe ceramic coating: The non-stick ceramic coating on its basket is PTFE and PFOA-free which makes it much better quality and a safer option vis-a-vis Teflon coating. This is because ceramic coating like this one does not release any harmful chemicals even at temperatures as high as 800 degrees Fahrenheit. So cook your food as hot as you want without any worries.
- Side Ventilation: In most of the air fryers, the hot air releases through the bottom, which may damage the surfaces they are placed on. The Ninja AF101 air fryer gets around this problem by having the hot air circulate from the sides and not the bottom. So, you can place it on a countertop of any material without worrying about damaging its surface.
What Are The Technical Specifications of The Ninja Air Fryer AF101?
Let’s explore the key technical specs of this product – from its size, weight and beyond:
- Dimensions: 13.6 X 11 X 13.3 inches
- Product weight: 12.2 pounds (5.5 kg)
- Manufacturer: SharkNinja
- Main body’s material: Plastic
- Item Model Number: AF101
- Power: 1500 watts
- Temperature range: 105 to 400-degree Fahrenheit (40.6 degrees to 204.4 degrees Celcius
- Capacity: Its 4 quart can comfortably accommodate 2 lbs of french fries in a single go
What Do Other Ninja Air Fryer Reviews Say?
A quick glance at most appliance blogs and e-commerce websites brings up pretty rave reviews for the Ninja AF 101 air fryer. So what do the existing customers of this air fryer have to say about it? Here are the most common benefits and drawbacks that other customers have shared:
- Its lightweight and compact design makes it easy to place it anywhere in the kitchen
- Versatile – can cook a wide variety of foods – from salmon and chicken fillets, fish fingers, fries to jerky
- Cooks evenly in a much shorter time (up to 30-40% lesser time than other air fryers)
- Customers mention that it allows them to cook foods like chicken wings, fish fingers, etc. without using a single drop of oil. These dishes are traditionally deep-fried, which lets you enjoy delicious snacks without guilt.
- Dehydrate mode allows you to make crispy veggies fruit and jerky without adding any of the salt or oil than store-bought jerky has.
- Unlike other air fryers, this one doesn’t vent hot air from the bottom but does so from the sides. This means you can place it at your countertops of any material without worrying about damaging the surface.
- 4 one-touch preset cooking modes – reheat, dehydrate, air fry and roast – give you the freedom to cook a wide range of food the way you’d like.
- Its intuitive auto-adjust fan changes the cooking speed and time based on the preset chosen
- Good safety features – the air fryer has a button guard that prevents the accidental release of the ceramic coated basket.
- Heat-safe non-stick ceramic coating on the crisper plate and the basket is a better option compared to Teflon coating. The coating is free of harmful chemicals such as PTFE and PFOA which become toxic during overheating.
- Can comfortably cook a wide variety of foods for 3-5 people
- Wide temperature range – from as low as 105 to as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Much more affordable when compared to other options in the market with comparable features
- Doesn’t come with extra attachments or accessories for baking or grilling
- The recipe book that comes with the product offers few to work with – a total of 12 recipes, while other brands offer recipe books with 50 to 100 options. That might restrict cooking enthusiasts a bit, however we provide a range of recipe on our site and they’re easily to find online.
- The unit needs some time to preheat before it reaches the desired temperature, so you’d have to give it at least 3 minutes before you add the ingredients for best results.
What Is The Ninja AF101’s Size And Appearance Like?
Weighing at 5.5 kg (12.1 lb) and with a compact design, the Ninja AF101 air fryer is lightweight and can comfortably be placed anywhere in your kitchen and won’t take up too much space. We quite like its simple, fuss-free yet contemporary appearance, and we think it blends well with other appliances in most kitchen settings. You can choose between black and grey variants, depending on the shades you prefer – though we think both the hues make the appliance look quite slick.
Is It Easy to Clean?
This product’s components are completely dishwasher safe, so you can easily pop them in the dishwasher without any worries. However, you can also easily clean it with a rag and hot water with some liquid dish wash as well. All its parts, from the crisper plate, the rack to the ceramic basket are easy to clean, with no corner that’s hard to reach. Dishwashers may remove some of the non-stick coatings off the ceramic basket and the crisper plate, so cleaning it manually is a good option.
Ninja AF101 Review — Wrap up
If you’re looking for a high-quality, versatile and budget-friendly air fryer for your home, then the Ninja AF101 air fryer is the way to go. This powerful air fryer checks all the boxes for a quality product – large capacity, user-friendly control panel, intuitive cooking presets wide temperate range and a compact design. Each of the 4 smart cooking presets – roast, dehydrate, air fry and reheat – adjust the cooking time, speed and temperature to do justice to the cooking mode. With its unique dehydrate preset, you can make crisp vegetable and fruit snacks that are crisp and delicious.
The non-toxic ceramic coated basket is PTFE and PFOA-free, making it a better and safer alternative from Teflon coating, as ceramic coatings don’t release any chemicals even at temperatures as high as 800 degrees Fahrenheit. What’s more, a ceramic-coated crisper plate is also a segment-leading feature, as it ensures even circulation of hot air from all angles, ensuring a perfectly cooked treat every single time. All this at a much more pocket-friendly price vis a vis others with comparable features seals the deal. If you’re looking to eat delicious, golden crisp food without the guilt, we recommend the Nina AF101 air fryer for the job.
Hello there, my name is Tracey Allen from New York. I am a cooking enthusiast and a restaurant industry veteran. I have been spreading my passion for air fryers and simplified cooking with colleagues and friends for close to a decade. If you have any questions about air fryers, air cooking or healthy cooking feel free to contact me on the contact page.